Saturday, June 12, 2010

New Found Respect for Food

Ever since I have been on my own, I've learned that food is a valuable thing to have in life.  Growing up, you never think about how much your mom spent at the grocery store or how she learned to cook the hundreds of meals she fed you day in and day out.  Now that I live on my own, I go to the grocery store and I leave defeated.  "I just spent how much?", I normally find myself saying as soon as I leave.  And then I take a look down at my cart, then back at my receipt, then I shed a quick tear.  Even by shopping careful and wisely, only buying things I need and things that are on sale, I still end up with a pretty small amount of groceries for the price.

Buying the food is only half the battle.  Now I get home and I have to make something out of what I just bought. Talk about a unique challenge for a 22 year old male.  I've looked up multiple recipes and gain confidence that I can cook some amazing dishes.  Yet when I read the ingredients, I realize I have none of the required spices or oils.  It's hard for me to buy ingredients for one meal because I feel like I'll never use them again.  But I have begun to branch out and start creating more meals.  So far, so good.  Let's just pray I don't burn down my apartment.

This recent food craze and realization has prompted me to devote space in my blog for recipes I find, dishes I create, and place I eat out at (which happens on occasion when I fail to create a meal for myself).  So look forward to future posts in my new section...."Cereal is Always an Option: Food Discovery for the College Male".  Have a great weekend everyone.

2 comments:

  1. You should make a show called "Cereal is Always an Option: Food Discovery for the College Male"

    Contact Food Network or Discovery Channel. I'm serious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be fantastic! Haha! I'm loving the blog, Ryan. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete